Friday, August 22, 2008

One on One - with the Texas Brahmas' Pete Rouleau

The Brahmas' newest member provides some background and talks about signing with the team

The Texas Brahmas recently announced the signing of former Michigan Tech star forward Pete Rouleau.

The 25-year-old native of Hancock, Michigan skated in 95 games and scored 61 points (19 G, 42 A) over three seasons with the Huskies. He earned the Gary Crosby Award as the team's leading scorer his junior and senior year and won the Huskies' MVP award last season.

Last March, Rouleau signed with the Idaho Steelheads (ECHL) but played just one game before being released on waivers. Coach Derek Laxdal said he would have liked to have kept Rouleau on, but players returning to Idaho from it's AHL affiliate Idaho Stars created a lack of space on the roster. Rouleau was then signed by the Pensacola Ice Pilots and played six games, scoring 3 points (1 G, 2 A).

Rouleau spent the 2003-04 season competing for Finlandia University, an NCAA Division III team. He played in 25 games with the Lions and was Findlandia’s leading scorer with 39 points (15 G, 24 A). Prior to that, he played for the Green Bay Gamblers of the United States Hockey League in 2002-03. In 56 games played, Rouleau recorded 24 points (10 G, 14 A).

In high school, Rouleau led the Hancock Bulldogs in scoring for four consecutive seasons. He was the most valuable player of the Lake Superior Conference three years in a row and All-State his junior and senior years. He played on the 1998-99 State High School Championship team and the 1999-2000 State Runner-Up team. He remains the career point leader with 264 points.

I spoke with Pete by phone recently about his past, how he signed with the Brahmas and his eagerness to get back on the ice.

Q: After a great performance at Hancock High School, you were offered a full scholarship to Michigan Tech but you chose not to accept. Can you tell us a little about that?

A: I was offered a full ride but I always wanted to go to Northern Michigan University, their archrival. My girlfriend then, wife now, was going to NMU. I was trying to get into Northern so I didn’t sign. I went and played juniors and they watched me one game and said I didn’t really have the heart to play. So I ended up going to play for the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) and then they didn’t want me so I was really stuck between a rock and a hard place. I ended up going to Finlandia then. I played one year there and then I decided to transfer over to Tech. I was skating there over the summer and the assistant coach told me I could walk on, so I walked on and I made it.

Q: At Finlandia, you were the leading scorer for the Lions, in 25 games, 39 points. Did you enjoy playing there?

A: Yeah, I did. I knew all the guys on the team. The only thing was they were independent; they weren’t in the league yet. So you were kind of playing for the fun of the game.

Q: When you had the opportunity to get back with Michigan Tech, you did very well, especially in your senior year. How did you like playing with the Huskies?

A: I had a blast. The first year, I sat out a year (due to the transfer) and then I got to play the second year. So I went a year without playing any games. You find out quick if you love the game or not, practicing very day, going through everything and then not playing any games. Down the stretch in my junior and senior year, I ended up leading the team in points. I wanted to get to 30 this year but I only got 29. But it was awesome. Guys that I played with, they were good. A couple of them have moved on to the next level. I had a pretty good year but I would have liked to have gone farther in the playoffs.

Q: After your senior year at Tech, you signed with the Idaho Steelheads (ECHL). How did that come about?

A: I had no intentions on going there. I was trying to go to Augusta, to play for the Augusta Lynx (ECHL), so my thought was that I was going to Augusta. Then Idaho called and they wanted to sign me, so I ended up going there. Jimmy Kerr on our team, our captain last year, he was going there and he got hurt so he didn’t go. So they asked if I’d go. And then I ended up going. I had four shifts in one game and then got released. It was a rough experience. I mean, you’d like to get more shifts, trying to prove yourself.

I ended up calling Cam Ellsworth, who was the goalie at Tech when I got there, and he hooked me up with the Pensacola Ice Pilots. So, I ended up going there and I loved it. And then I was all signed to go there next year and then they folded.

Then I started talking to the Texas Brahmas’ coach. Every time I talked to him he seemed like he was really excited and I was excited and I ended up getting ahold of Tyler (Skworchinski) and he was like “well, I don’t know if I’m going back,” and then he’s like, “I talked to coach and he asked if I was going back and I said I’m only signing if you’re signing.” He ended up signing so I was like “Alright, I’m coming then.” So I ended up signing. I’m excited to play. I hope I’m on his (Tyler’s) line.

Q: Are you familiar with the Central Hockey League?

A: Not really. Is it pretty close to the East Coast League?

Q: I’d say similar but you know, it’s very raw. It’s a hard-hitting, very aggressive, very physical game. Ho do you feel about that type of play and physically, do you feel up to it?

A: That doesn’t bother me at all. I mean I’ve played hockey for along time where there was hitting. I get around the ice and as long as I keep my head up and don’t put myself in a situation where I’m going to get hit hard…you know, move the puck before the guy’s coming. I’m used to it, I should be ready to go.

Q: On a personal note, I understand you got married last summer and have a baby on the way, due in January. Is your wife coming down with you or is she staying back in Michigan?

A: She’s coming down in late October.

Q: Do you know if it’s a boy or a girl?

A: We find out in September, just before I come down.

Q: In general, what is your level of excitement in getting down here to Texas to play some hockey with the Brahmas?

A: Well, I’m not looking forward to the drive but once I get there, I can’t wait to get on the ice. Hopefully we can get on the ice before we start right away…I’m excited. My brother Ross is going to drive down with me to try out. He’s excited as well so it’ll be a good time.

Ross Rouleau is a six-foot-one, 175-pound defenseman. He also played for Hancock High School and is currently on the roster at Finlandia University. He was on the 2007-08 squad that won the Midwest Collegiate Hockey Association Tournament Championship. His teammates, Josh Paquette and Ryan Sullivan have recently signed with the New Mexico Scorpions.

Photo Credit: Idaho Steelheads

No comments: