Monday, May 25, 2009

Vacation's over

Year two of the Insider begins

OK, I think I've had enough rest.

A year ago, May 22nd to be exact, I began this blog. A blog, because it seemed the hip thing at the time and also because it is free (for now) and easy to update. The Texas Brahmas Insider (name inspired by the Mudbugs Insider), the suggestion of fellow season ticket holder Gina B., was meant to be a third source for information on the fans of the boys from North Richland Hills. Meagan McClurkan was doing a great job with the team website. John Blanding had the forum humming along. But something was missing. Besides press releases and opinion and debate, I wanted more content. Interviews, detailed player bios, game previews, game reports, photos; all things I couldn't get anywhere else. I figured the fans might like that as well.

If I was going to do a blog, I wanted it to be on the Brahmas, and for the most part, nothing else. If there wasn't any news or information to write about, I would go and find it. I didn't want to be one of those out there like Rajan, who does a good job (paid to do so) of covering his team but is also a cut and paste, click here clearinghouse of all things CHL and hockey in general. This is about the Brahmas and I think I've created something that doesn't exist elsewhere (yet) in the CHL.

After publishing the first draft of the Insider, I heard from Mike Barack soon enough. I actually meant to contact him before publishing, but I got excited. Mike was very gracious and gave me permission to use Brahmas logos and graphics, etc. and we began what has been a very good relationship. I met with Dan Wildfong in June and did the first interview of many to come. It wasn't long before things took off and soon the Insider was getting some readers. In addition, I've heard from friends and families of the players. I heard from a U.S. Congressman. I've heard from other bloggers and news organizations in other countries. I've gotten a lot of encouragement from all of these, but none more than I've gotten from the fans. That makes it all worth while.

In the course of the past year, I've met a lot of people, made a lot of friends and had a lot of great experiences (many of them in the once in a lifetime variety). Of course, I owe a lot to the entire Brahmas organization (too many to name individually and no one more important than the other) who not only accepted what I was doing from the beginning, but also supported it and helped it grow. Truly an amazing and gracious group of people.

I'd also be remiss, if I didn't mention the support of my wife, who wasn't a fan of ice hockey but grew to become a fan of the Brahmas over the last year. After the birth of our second daughter last January, she decided to have a defect in her heart corrected by surgery, which was done in June. In October, she completed her first Olympic triathlon and has since finished two more (including one today in Austin) in addition to numerous 5K and 10K runs. Truly a superstar in my eyes. I wouldn't be able to do any of this without the support she provides and the sacrifices she endures.

Well, after a year of blogging and over 12,000 photos published (here) and with a championship won, it's time to start again. Time to cover the road to the repeat. That's right, I said it. Seriously, and I'll use a phrase I've said to myself all during the past season - who can beat these Brahmas? Does anyone think that won't see a Brahmas/Eagles rematch next May? OK, maybe it will be the Brahmas and the RiverKings. Or how about the Mudbugs? Yeah, I'd like to see that more than anything.

So what's new in the world of the Insider? stay tuned...

1 comment:

Blueline said...

Robert....with your photos and interviews you had a great season as well!...Our STH gang in Section N would comment about your great game shots posted on the Insider and seeing you the Box most of the time as if on both sides of the ice at the same time with your camera getting those gamer shots....Look forward to seeing you at the Box for the Brahmas' March for the '09-'10 Cup....

Russ Wood
N7-7&8