Monday, June 14, 2010

Brahmas sign rookie defenseman

Niagra University’s Burichin second signing for 2010-11 season

The Texas Brahmas announced the signing of defenseman Jim Burichin to the 2010-11 roster today. Burichin, 24, played NCAA hockey for Niagra University in Lewiston, New York.

"I'm very excited about the opportunity to play for the Brahmas," Burichin said. "Being able to play professional hockey is a dream come true for me. I am very fortunate to have played for Niagara, which helped me build a foundation in order to take my game to the next level."


The Strongsville, Ohio native will join the Brahmas after playing 97 games on the blue line for the Purple Eagles, scoring three goals, 10 assists and 13 points. While he didn't put up big numbers, Burichin's strong work ethic and leadership abilities helped to solidify a blue line which advanced to the College Hockey America Championship game in 2008 and 2010, with the Purple Eagles taking home the 2008 title.


"I pride myself on playing good defense," Burichin said. "I'm the kind of player who is going to grind it out in the corners of the zone, block shots and make big hits. I'm not too worried about getting points. I want to get the puck out to the forwards and let them take care of the scoring."

Burichin led the team in blocked shots (38) during his senior year, a niche he realized in the middle of his junior year. He was rewarded with additional playing time after he stepped in front of opponents’ shots.

“That’s one of the parts of the game that people don’t know about, but those are the kinds of things I make my game around. I’ve got to get in and do the gritty stuff that doesn’t get much glory.”

Brahmas head coach Dan Wildfong is confident Burichin will make an impact with his re-tooled defensive corps.

"We will look to Jim to fill in the role as a steady defenseman. His reputation will keep him held accountable to be able to play at this level in addition to being a physical presence on the blue line," Wildfong said.


Burichin is known as a hard-worker who “punches the clock every day,” according to Niagra
head coach Dave Burkholder.

“I am so pleased for Jim, as he embarks on the next phase in life," Burkholder said. "He had a good career at Niagara and his best season on the ice was this past year. He will be a great addition to the Brahmas on and off the ice."

Photo Credits: Niagra University

No comments: