Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Insider Interview - AJ Gale

The Brahmas' newest recruit talks about signing with the team, how he stays in shape and his thoughts on playing hockey

How are you staying in shape this Summer? AJ Gale is splitting firewood 10 hours a day. Yeah, with an axe. I found this out and more when I spoke to AJ last evening by phone. Here is our conversation.

Q: How were you recruited by the Brahmas?

A: I think it had a little to do with St. Norbert. Coach Coghlin spoke highly of me to coach Wildfong there. Also, Marc Belanger who's from my hometown also played there and Jason Deitsch who is a very good player, played at St. Norbert as well. I've heard nothing but great things about the organization and everything about the location, so I was really enticed by that.

Q: You played previously with Bill Vandemeer and some others who are now in the CHL. Have you talked to any of them about the league and what to expect?

A: I talked to another buddy, Brennen Francon, who played with Oklahoma and he said the league was great and he really enjoyed it.

Q: So what's your excitement level in regards to going pro and coming down to Texas to make a contribution current league champions?

A: Oh, I’m very, very excited about it. I’m looking forward to jumping to the next level. I’ll have a good hard-working summer and come into camp in great shape. I’m also looking to, hopefully continue my education along the way with online classes and stuff like that. I’ll do whatever it takes; I have about a year and a half left of schooling.

Q: When you’re not playing, what are you doing to keep in shape?

A: I split firewood for a job in the summer so that keeps me in pretty good shape. I do that about 10 hours a day. I usually go for a run a couple of times a week. I hit the gym and lift some weights a few times a week as well and then try to get on the ice as much as I can with high quality players from the area. I just try and keep in shape that way and keep my game sharp.

Q: Where do you think you have room for improvement and what do you think your strong points are?

A: I definitely think my skating can improve. I don’t think I’m a bad skater but I think that my biggest strength would probably be my shot and maybe my quickness around the net; getting the puck up in a hurry or just trying to make the odd pass here and there to set up a guy as well as my one-timer.

Q: The CHL is a very physical league. Have you had a good amount of experience with physical play and do you feel physically that you’ll be prepared for it?

A: Yeah, I feel that I’m physically capable to take a hit here and there. I’m definitely not going to shy away from it if it means getting the puck out to make a play. If I take a hit, that’s what I’m willing to do. I think that’s what it takes to be a champion – you have to do all the little things, so if it involves blocking a shot or taking a hit or delivering a hit, I think that’s a part of my game where I also strive in order to give the team some momentum.

Q: What do you have to say to the fans of the Brahmas?

A: I’m looking forward to getting to that nice weather, meet some people and get out into the community to do some work out in the community as well as on the ice. Just get to know the fans on a first name basis and hopefully build some good friendships along the way.

Photo Credit: Jamie Penner Photography

No comments: