Wednesday, June 3, 2009


The Insider Interview - Casey Russell

The newest member of the Texas Brahmas talks about joining the club, playing with his brother and his thoughts on going pro

I got in touch with Casey Russell shortly after learning that he signed on with the Texas Brahmas, thanks to a press release by his alma mater, Bentley University. I immediately recognized Casey as Matt Burto's brother, having previously read about the two playing against each other at the World Jewish Cup in July of 2007. You can read a great article about the two here

Russell, 24, recently graduated from Bentley University in Waltham, Massachusetts. He played in 125 games as a defenseman for head coach Ryan Soderquist and is one of the highest scoring defensemen in the program's history.

He is currently working at a private golf club in Edgewater, Maryland. He is also the head coach of the Maryland All Stars Elite AAA Youth Hockey Program. We spoke by phone yesterday. Here is our conversation.

Q: Tell me about how were you recruited to play with the Texas Brahmas?

A: Well, It began last season. Obviously, as my brother played there, I knew about the team. Towards the end of our college season, Matt called me and said that a couple of their defensemen were hurt and would I be interested in coming down. At the time, I was supposed to go over to Serbia to play in the world championships with the Israeli team and to make a long story short, I was temporarily disqualified because the waiting period for the transfer wasn’t up yet. When I called coach Wildfong back, I guess they already brought in someone.

Q: Speaking of your brother, the two of you played junior hockey together in Des Moines. You played against him at the World Jewish Cup in Metulla, Israel. Now you have the opportunity to play with him again. How do you feel about that?

A: It’s awesome. I mean anytime you can meet up again with close friends or family members, it’s always a good thing. I think if I’m correct, we haven’t played on the same team for six years, since Des Moines. Maybe a little bit longer. It’ll be good to play with him on the team; hopefully we’ll have a real good year for the team.

Q: One of the things that I noticed in looking at the rosters of the teams you’ve played for is that several of the guys that you’ve played with have also graduated up to the CHL. Do you remain in touch with some of those guys and have they told you about what to expect in the league?

A: A little bit, yeah. One of my friends played in, I believe it was New Mexico and another played in Laredo last year. He said it’s a good league. I’m ready for the pros. I think it'll be a good stepping stone to hopefully further my career and have a successful season with the Brahmas. I’m not sure who else from my team last year went up to the CHL, but I’ve heard nothing but good things.

Q: How would you describe your work ethic and what do you think are your strengths and weaknesses as a defenseman?

A: I work as hard as I possibly can in the summer. It’s definitely a little harder being in the real world, trying to have a job and not having the comfort of going back to school, but you’ve got to make time to work hard and stay in the best shape possible. I’ve been to several training centers like Total Athlete Conditioning back in Connecticut and Athlete’s Performance in Arizona, so I work as hard as I can to be able to play the best I can.

I think my strengths - I like to think of myself as a great passer and I can read the ice really well. I’m physical, for the most part. My weaknesses, I mean, I obviously have weaknesses – I’d like to improve on everything, even my strong points. I’m just looking to contribute any way they need me to contribute...whatever that may be.

Q: You had a positive four years at Bentley University. Now you're done with college and approaching your rookie year as a professional – what’s your level of excitement as far as that goes?

A: I’m very excited. I don’t think it will hit me until maybe August when I’m usually heading back to Waltham (Massachusetts). I’m looking forward to it. I think it’s always good to change things up a little bit – four years in one place is a long time. I had a great time when I was at Bentley. I’m going to miss a lot of the guys…the coaching staff was great to me. I’m looking forward to moving forward.

Q: You had mentioned to me once before that your dad had an association with Andy Moog. What was the relationship there?

A: Back in the 80’s, I think it was, my dad, with Reggie Lemelin, started a company called Aeroflex. They were one of the first to use foam in goalie pads. They switched them over from the old, heavy leather. When Andy was in the tandem with Reggie in Boston, I know Reggie wore my dad’s pads and I think Andy wore them for a little bit, my father said. I don’t think he stuck with them. My dad said they know each other but, you know, they’re not best friends or anything like that.

Q: Speaking of your dad, Jeff Russell; with two boys – Matt getting ready to enter his second year pro and you about to enter the pro ranks – what do you think his feelings are about you joining up to play with Matt and the Brahmas?

A: I think he’s very excited. When we were both in college, we were both in Massachusetts but he would still drive to UMASS one night and to Boston the next night so, at least now he only has to buy one plane ticket. I think he’s excited. I think having two family members make it to the next level is also a very exciting thing because there are not a lot of opportunities, you know, to play professional in any sport. I hope he’s proud. He’s done a lot for us so it’s a good way to repay him.

Photo Credit: Casey Russell

No comments: