Saturday, September 19, 2009

Former Brahmas enforcer moves on

Red Wings get bigger, tougher thanks to Nathan Saunders

Article by Dave Kearsey, The Western Star 09/18/09

Andy Brake believes it will be tougher for opposing teams to play against the Deer Lake Red Wings with Nathan Saunders lurking in the weeds.

The six-foot-three, 220-pound defenseman from Marshfield, P.E.I., a tough stay-at-home defenseman with an impressive resume of pro experience, will suit up for the Red Wings in the West Coast Senior Hockey League this season.

“Quality defenseman are like hen’s teeth, very hard to get and certainly Nathan Saunders brings us another great defenseman who will certainly be in our top four,” Red Wings GM Brake told The Western Star this week after getting a deal done with the 24-year-old.

“He’s not only a good defenseman, he’s a very tough gentleman who a lot of forwards aren’t going to want to go in the corner with so he certainly is more than a one-dimension player. He brings lots of size, an intimidating player.

“We’ve been after him for a couple of years and we finally scored him this year so it’s certainly going to be interesting and entertaining to see him perform.”

Saunders, who amassed 784 minutes in penalties in four years (2001-2005) with the Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, was drafted 119th overall (4th round) by the Anaheim Ducks in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. The Boston Bruins acquired him in a trade with Anaheim in 2007.

Last season, the right-handed shooter accumulated 159 penalty minutes in 36 games with the Texas Brahmas of the Central Hockey League.

Saunders said the timing was right for him to check out the Newfoundland senior hockey scene and experience the province for the first time.

“I just decided to move home and try to be close to the family and my girlfriend, and I always heard a lot of good things about Newfoundland because I have a lot of good friends over there, so I thought it would be a good time to go check it out and see what it’s like for sure,” Saunders said.

He knows what the Red Wings will expect when he puts on the jersey.

“I am just hoping to go in and play hard,” he said. “Usually what I bring to the table is play well defensively and try to shut down the other team’s top line, but if I can chip in offensively or if I have to stand up for teammates then I have no problem doing either of that.”

How does he approach the game?“I like to be physical, just play hard-nosed and be kind of an asshole,” he said.Even though his style of play meant surgery on his hand and shoulder in the past couple of years, Saunders won’t shy away from anyone interested in a dance partner either.

“I used to do that quite a bit ... the last couple of years I had surgery on my hand and my shoulder so I am trying to pace myself in that aspect of my game this year to see if I can avoid surgery, but I definitely don’t mind especially if there is a time and need for it like if somebody gets a cheap shot or somebody takes a liberty with my goalie then it’s definitely something that needs to be taken care of, yes.” he said.

Playing in front of the boisterous Deer Lake fans who love their Red Wings is something Saunders can’t wait to do.

“I played down in Georgia and Texas the last few years so I am used to people not really knowing the rules and not really being true hockey fans, so it will be kind of nice to come over and play in front of some people who actually know what’s going on,” he said.

While he will travel back and forth to his home for the first couple of months because of work commitments, Saunders isn’t ruling out taking up residence in Deer Lake if he can secure work while playing for the team. In any event, he will be ready to roll as soon as the Red Wings take to the ice at the Hodder Memorial Recreation Complex.

“I’m definitely excited and I want to get it going right away. I have been thinking about it here for the last little while and now that I have made the decision to come over I want to get over and start playing as soon as I can so I am just looking forward to it and a little anxious for it to start.”

Photo Credit: Robert Keith

No comments: