Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A conversation with...Jordan Cameron

The ex-Brahma talks about the playoffs and signing to play in Germany

After a terrific season with the Texas Brahmas, forward Jordan Cameron decided to sign with a team in Germany, the EC Hannover Indians, who celebrate their 60th year this season.

The 26-year-old right wing played in 57 games with the Brahmas last season and tallied 64 points (30g, 34a). Cameron played in all 14 playoff games with 13 points (3g, 10a) scored. His three playoff goals secured a victory for the Brahmas in game two of the conference semi-finals against the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs.

I spoke to Jordan on Monday afternoon about playing with the Brahmas and how he came to sign with the Indians.

Q: You came to the Brahmas kind of on short notice; your signing was announced three days before the training camp last year. Can you talk a little bit about that?

A: Dan and Forbes did a really good job recruiting me. They were on the phone with me almost every single day until I signed with them. They had some good things to say about what they were going to try and get going down there and it sounded pretty good so I jumped on board. Things worked out pretty good for me and for the team. I had a good season and the team, I felt, we should have beat Colorado in the semi-finals but we fell a little short.

Q: I remember in particular the hat trick in the second game of the playoffs with the Mudbugs; four seconds left on the clock and you put one over DeCaro’s shoulder and won the game. What do you remember about that moment?

A: That was one of my most memorable goals, probably ever. Time was running out our D got the puck up at the point, I think it was Minard, I can’t remember, he looked like he was going to take a shot and I just yelled at him to pass me the puck and he took like a slap shot pass to me and I looked up and I had like almost the whole net to shoot at and put it in.

Q: Having swept Shreveport and advancing to play Colorado in the conference finals and then nearly making it to the championship was quite a feat. Overall how do you feel about your play in particular and the year that the Brahmas had?

A: You know, I think as a team, we had a phenomenal year. When things were going bad we didn’t get too down on ourselves, and we tried to bounce back. It showed, I think in December, late December, we won like two of fourteen games or something and after that we went twenty-three and five, so it showed the character that the team had. We went into the playoffs and squeaked by Mississippi, that was a pretty tough series. And then we played Shreveport and I think that, like that goal you were talking about, game two was the biggest game of the series because it let us take both games in Bossier. From there on I think we gained a lot of momentum; won the series and went into Colorado feeling pretty good about ourselves. I think we just ran into a really hot goalie and they got the better ending.

Q: This season, you’re going to be wearing number forty-one for EC Hannover, a club that has a long history, celebrating 60 years. This is your first time playing in Europe. Was there a particular draw in playing over there?

A: I have a couple of friends from my hometown that play over there. Both of them play in the First League in Germany and one guy’s been telling me for like three years to go over there. And the other guy was on me really hard this year to go over there and one of the coaches over there had contacted one of my buddies and it pretty much got set up that way. You know, my wife and I were talking about it last year before I signed with the Brahmas, maybe going over to Europe and you know, seeing the world. That was one of the big draws, you know? Obviously, you go over there and there’s better money too, but in the long run it’s that seeing Europe would be nice; we’ll take our daughter over there and it’ll be pretty fun.

Q: Were you initially contacted directly by the team, or was this done through your friend?

A: It was pretty much done through my friend. He plays on the Hannover team in the First League. I guess their coach was watching our playoffs and had seen that we were from the same town. And that’s pretty much how it all got started. He started asking him some questions, and some guys I played with in the ECHL that were over in Germany, asked them some questions about me and stuff like that and that’s pretty much how it all worked out. Another guy, his name is John Smith, I played with him the season before I went with the Brahmas and he went over to Germany this year while I was with the Brahmas. He really liked it over there and that was another reason you know, me and the wife thought it would be fun to go over there. He said it was a really nice country and the people are nice and they’ve got good beer (laughing).

Q: Do you speak any German or are you going to brush up on some basic skills before you head over?

A: We bought a German-speaking book for dummies or whatever and a translation dictionary…they say that most Germans know a little bit of English and stuff so it shouldn’t be too bad.

Q: Are you familiar with the Indians’ coach, Joe West and his career?

A: No, not at all. We spoke a couple of times and that’s about it.

Q: He was also a right wing. He played at Northern Michigan and played five seasons in Germany, including four seasons with the Hannover Scorpions before he got a chance to coach. I read some comments by him in a German newspaper when you were signed. He said: “(Cameron) is the type of player that I wanted...dangerous at the goal, a good technician and strong penetrator...Like all players who come to Europe, he'll need some time to acclimate but I'm sure he will be a strong addition.” Do you think he described you pretty well?

A: Well, I don’t know; I’m pretty good around the net. I think I showed this year that I had some offensive talents or whatever and as a big guy, I can control the puck pretty good. I think he’s right, it’s going to take a little bit to adjust, you know. Going over there, it’s a different language, a different culture, and different food. Even like, going to the market and not knowing what to get for food. I think they have bigger ice surfaces over there, stuff like that so, obviously it’s going to be a big adjustment, and hopefully it won’t take too long. I think they have a month of training, so I hope to be able to adjust in that time.

Q: Do you know when you’re heading over?

A: The first week of August.

Q: How do you feel about playing there; are you excited about the opportunity?

A: Yeah, really excited. It’s a total change. It’s something different. You know, hockey’s hockey. You do it for the love of the game, right?

The Indian’s made it to the playoffs the last five seasons in a row in Germany’s Upper League; quarter-finals three times and semi-finals twice. It looks like they’re trying to build a strong team this year and Jordan Cameron is definitely going to be a great addition. We wish the best of luck to Jordan.

Photo Credit: Robert Keith

UPDATE

Thanks to Stephan at the EC Hannover Indians News Blog for his kind words about our interview with Jordan Cameron. The interview is featured on the blog and can be viewed here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Hannover,

thank you for this nice conversation with our new Player Jordan Cameron.

Greetings

Stephan
EC Hannover Indians News Blog