Saturday, July 19, 2008


One on One – with the Texas Brahmas’ Andrew Leach

Exclusive Interview with the Newest member of the team

The Texas Brahmas announced the signing of forward Andrew Leach on July 17th. I spoke to Andrew at his family's summer home on Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire this morning.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about being recruited by the Brahmas?

A: I got a call from Steve Papple, the team’s scout. I think it was right around July 1st or the 2nd. He talked to me about possibly coming out to Texas. I didn’t know much about it, about the team. I looked into it. He sent me a couple of packages about the area and what the team’s all about. And then I talked to the head coach, Dan Wildfong. He called me a couple of days later and talking to him got me interested. I knew this was a winning team and it was kind of what I was looking for as well as a good setup and a good all around organization.

Q: Did you have a lot of familiarity with the Central Hockey League?

A: Not really. I played with a couple of kids that had played in the league, but I didn’t have much familiarity with it. I know that it is very similar to the leagues that I’ve been playing in and I had heard nothing but good things about it. When I ended the season last year, I kind of thought that maybe that was the step that I was going to take and it just so happened that Texas had called me. I had been talking to a few other teams but I kind of narrowed down to Texas because of where they’re located and what I’d heard about the team.

Q: Have you ever been to this part of the country before?

A: No, this will be my first time. I’ve never been to Texas but I know that there are several different teams in the league from Texas and I heard that the one in the Dallas/Fort Worth area was the best.

Q: Let’s talk a little bit about your background. You come from a great hockey family, your dad, Chris Leach, played for St. Lawrence and your Uncle Steve, 14 seasons in the NHL, your brother Jay, of course…where did the hockey tradition start with your family?

A: Well, it started with my Dad’s family. They grew up in Lexington, Massachusetts. He has four brothers and two sisters, so they were a huge family. I think my grandfather brought them up in hockey in Lexington and it took off. My Uncle Jay is an assistant coach for the Washington Capitals (NHL), My Uncle Mark, just won the Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings. He’s one of their head amateur scouts. They all played in college. The Leach family, when they were growing up, kind of just took over in the Boston area.

I grew up in Albany, New York. My father re-located to Albany, took a job there, and that’s where Jay and I grew up. He obviously got us into hockey. I don’t know if I had a choice when I was younger, but I’m glad that he brought us up there, in hockey. I guess it’s just that we’re one of those families, that’s just the sport that we play.

Q: I’ve heard that you’ve been on the ice since you were two years old, is that true?

A: Yep, pretty much! As soon as I could walk, I was pretty much on the ice.

Q: What do you like most about hockey?

A: It’s taken me to seven different places, in the states and in Canada. It’s a game that I’ve grown up to love to play. All the kids play sports growing up and hockey just happened to be the one that we grew up with and I just love it. I love the atmosphere in the rinks and everything about it.

Q: In High School and such, did you play any other sports?

A: I played golf and tennis in High School, baseball growing up. But pretty much when I hit 17, all of my focus went to hockey.

Q: Who was your biggest influence in hockey? This is a two-part question. Tell me about one personally and one professionally.

A: Personally, that would be my older brother, Jay. He’s kind of been a mentor for me. He played at Providence, this will be his eighth year as a professional; he’s kind of been through everything. He’s battled from the East Coast Hockey League all the way up to the NHL. He’s been there for me, through my college years and beyond.

Professionally, there’s many. I’ve had many contacts with people that have helped me. I’d say my first year with the Kalamazoo Wings (IHL); I played for a guy named Mark Reeds, the Head Coach there. He has probably been the most helpful to me, in teaching me how to play the professional game.

Q: How would you describe your style of play? You were described in the Brahmas’ press release as a “gritty” player.

A: You know, I’ve been labeled as kind of a forechecker power forward. You know, I’m going to chip in with my points, I’ve never really been a big points scorer. I’m hoping to change that when I come to Texas. I’m not the type of guy that’s going to go out and fight fifteen to twenty times. I get in my fair share of fights.

My real asset is my skating and getting in on the floor check and just hitting and being a good power forward, trying to get some turnovers in the offensive zone for us. I’ll chip in with my fair share of “battles”. I like to consider myself as a pretty big power forward.

Q: Looking at your numbers over the last several years, you look like you’re poised for a real breakout season. What’s your excitement level in coming in and playing in this league and contributing with the Brahmas?

A: I’m very excited. My first two years, I put up similar numbers in my pro ranks and I really am looking forward to an opportunity to just come in there and get a chance to really contribute offensively as well as defensively. I’m a pretty solid defensive player. That’s kind of what I was doing in college, all four years, so I just want to come in there and work hard and bring something to the table. Obviously, I’m really excited to get working with the Brahmas and like any hockey player, the main goal is to win a championship and that was kind of what I was thinking when I signed.

Q: As far as your skills, where do you feel you need the most work? Is there anywhere that you feel you need improvement or you are not particularly satisfied with your play?

A: Obviously, at this level, we all need some kind of improvement. For myself, I’d say, scoring…I’d like to get, you know, 15 to 20 goals a year, instead of 8 to 10. I’m not going to come in there just focus on trying to score goals. I think if you’re just trying to score goals, it’s not going to happen. I think you just go in there and play your game and hopefully with the players that play around you, we can all benefit from each other. Improvement-wise, obviously yeah, I’d like to score more goals but I just want to come in there and do whatever I can to help the team.

Q: One of the Brahma’s other signings, actually the first signing of the year was Lance Galbraith from the Idaho Steelheads. Are you familiar with Lance at all?

A: I’m not very familiar, I didn’t really get a chance to play against him but I know my brother Jay played with him down at Augusta, in my brothers second year pro, so I kind of know what type of player Lance is. I know Texas is really excited about that signing. He brings a lot of energy and grit and also he can score too. I think it’s a big signing and I’m sure we’re all glad to kind of get the team situated, fill in the holes and stuff like that so, I’m sure it’s exciting.

Q: They call Lance “The Rooster”. Do you have any kind of nickname that was given to you by fans or other players?

A: Not really, no. I haven’t been in one place for an extended period of time. I switched spots in each of my first two pro seasons. I haven’t really accrued a nickname just yet, but who knows?

Q: When you’re not playing hockey, what is your favorite thing to do?

A: There’s a lake in New Hampshire called Lake Winnipesaukee; it’s probably one of the nicest lakes I’ve ever seen. That’s where I spend my summer times. My whole family is up here. During the off-season, I hang out up here, going out in the boat and just relaxing.

Q: Water skiing and wakeboarding, stuff like that?

A: Oh yeah, water skiing…I’m a big water skier. Wakeboarding? Not so much anymore. I’m getting a little older and I don’t really want to blow out either of my knees doing jumps and stuff. But I’m a big water skier. New Hampshire’s got some pretty sweet beaches around here too, so that’s kind of what I’m into.

Q: The fans I’ve spoken to out here don’t know much about you, but they’re looking forward to meeting you. What do you have to say to the Texas Brahmas fans?

A: Obviously, I’m excited to come out there. I haven’t been out there yet. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the team and the area. That’s pretty much why I signed there. I’m really excited to come out there and start playing.

Photo Credit: Trenton Devils

3 comments:

Eli said...

Great interview. Leach sounds like a focused hockey player who knows what he brings to the table and how to help his team.

It takes a lot of time to research what the right questions are going to be to get to know someone, and even more time to transcribe a conversation.

At the risk of undervaluing that, I'd like to offer one small note about hockey terminology: forechecking is when you hit your opponents to regain puck possession in your offensive zone, as opposed to passively waiting until they get it into your defensive zone and backchecking. A player who consistently generates offense and disrupts his opponent's gameplan with skillful forechecking may acquire a reputation for playing the role of "forechecker." Former Dallas Star Ulf Dahlen springs to mind.

A "floor checker," on the other hand, is a very large, durable, round, flat piece of red or black plastic with a picture of a crown on one side and the capability to be stacked on top of another floor checker, making a "king."

I didn't hear the actual interview, but if I had to bet which one of these best describes Leach, I kinda doubt that he moves only diagonally on black squares, or that he takes his opponents by jumping over them. That would not be safe, especially in ice skates.

Robert Keith said...

Lol - I crack myself up sometimes...I made the correction.

I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote Floor checker!

Was it Kierkegaard or Dick Van Patton who said "know your terminology, lest you come off as a poser"

JC said...

Ah, you just can't beat that "Wayne's World" line.