Sunday, July 20, 2008


One on One - with the Texas Brahmas' Lance Galbraith

The Brahmas's new player/assistant coach talks to the Insider

On June 5th, the Texas Brahmas announced the team’s first official player signing with veteran forward Lance Galbraith for the 2008-09 season.

Brahmas Head Coach Dan Wildfong believes Galbraith’s past successes and off-ice performance will bring a strong presence to the organization.

“Lance comes to our program with two championships; he knows what it takes to win. He will play a strong leadership role for us as well as being a key player in the community. He will be the epitome of all-around player for the Brahmas organization,” said Wildfong.

The 28-year-old right wing from Brampton, Ontario spent last season with the Idaho Steelheads (ECHL) and tallied 67 points (22 G, 45 A) in 66 games played. Galbraith spent six seasons in the ECHL playing in 354 games and appearing in four postseasons.

Galbraith led the ECHL in scoring in the playoffs in 2006-07 with 27 points as he led the Steelheads in the Kelly Cup Championship, the second in his career. Galbraith won his first Kelly Cup with the Steelheads in 2005.

Galbraith’s career include six seasons in the ECHL, one season in the United Hockey League (UHL) and 19 games in the American Hockey League (AHL).

Prior to going professional, Galbraith played junior hockey in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) with the Ottawa 67’s from 1996-2001. The Brampton, Ontario native won two championships with the 67’s (1999 and 2001) and also led the league in the playoffs with 28 points in 2001.

At 5-foot-10, 190 lbs, Galbraith has a reputation for toughness. He has accumulated 2,001 penalty minutes in his professional career. In the past seven years, he has averaged just over 285 penalty minutes a season.

I recently spoke to Lance Galbraith from his home in Ontario, Canada.

Q: Can you tell me a little about your interest in signing with the Texas Brahmas?

A: I got in contact with Dan Wildfong. I’d seen his track record as a player, it seemed like we approached the game in a similar way. You look at his first year as a head coach; he was put into a position where he didn’t really have much time to put a team together, and what he did with the team, taking them to the semi-finals, game seven, a game away from going to the finals. Who knows what would have happened? But you know, just his hard work and dedication got me real excited to be part of what he’s putting together.

Q: Did you have a lot of familiarity with the Central Hockey League?

A: I’ve never played there; I’ve actually played in every pro league except for the Central Hockey League. Dan and I talked a lot about the league and it’s going to be a new challenge in my hockey career and I’m really excited about it.

Q: There’s been an exodus of players to Europe this off-season. I’m wondering if you had any thoughts on playing in Europe versus playing in North America; had you entertained that?

A: Well, I’ve had several offers in the last three or four years. You hear some good stories, but you also hear the stories you don’t want to hear. I think we had a lot of guys last year in the East Coast league come Christmas time; I’d say maybe 10-12 guys come back and you hear about them fighting about money and they didn’t get paid and this, this and that. You know I guess you hear so many different stories with kind of like raised eyebrows. So, yeah, I did have offers over there but when this player/assistant deal came up with the Brahmas, I thought this is something that can give me an opportunity to maybe in a couple of years, to coach at some point. And that’s what I was trying to set myself up with for when I have to hang up my gear.

Q: I had read in an article in the Idaho Statesman that you had concerns that ECHL referees seemed to be singling you out because of your aggressive play. Is that true?

A: Yeah, it was getting tough the last 15 or 20 games and into the playoffs. I’m not saying I’m an angel out on the ice; I play as hard as I possibly can. I’m one of those guys that, whatever it takes to win, you do what you have to do. It seemed like everything I was doing, I was always going to the box. And it was wearing on me mentally. I was taking it home with me. There were some rough nights there where you feel like you’re letting your team down. Earlier in the season you’re playing the same way and it was working and you weren’t getting put in the penalty box so that was another reason for the change. Maybe, you know, a fresh start in a different league, but I’m going to play the same way and we’re going to have to go from there and see how the refereeing goes against me.

Q: Do you plan to tone down your style of play or are you going to play as aggressively as you always have?

A: I’m going to play the same way I have since day one, I don’t think I’d still be involved with the game if I toned it down. Obviously, you know there’s going to be times when people are going to be shaking their heads. But at the same time I have to play that way - that’s why I was signed with the Brahmas - to play that way.

Q: Talking to Dan Wildfong, he stressed your leadership abilities and the fact that you’ve been around and you’ve done it all, you’ve won championships; you’ve played in numerous leagues. I think he’s really looking forward to have you there to provide leadership on and off the ice for some of the younger players; how do you feel about approaching your teammates in that sense, not just as a teammate but also as a player coach?

A: The last three years I’ve played, I didn’t have this title, but I feel like I was kind of doing the same thing. I’ve always tried to be a leader, to lead by example. I kind of want to be a guy who, when I talk, everyone listens but at the same time, I’m always everyone’s best friend. But come game time, come practice, I expect everybody to come out there and work as hard as the next guy. At the end of the day, if everyone’s working that hard and working hard for each other, you’re just going to get better as a person, as a player and as a team.

Q: Lance, at 28-years old, how do you feel physically and looking at the next couple of years, how do you feel about continuing to play versus if you get an opportunity to be an assistant coach?

A: Well, I enjoy the game. Actually, being 28, I feel better now than I did when I was 20. I take better care of myself physically. I think the biggest challenge is playing against 22 to 23-year old guys. You know it drives me every day to go to the rink and work on getting better, just to try to keep up and perform with these guys. If I was setting a goal, I’d like to play two more years and hopefully get an opportunity to coach. It’ll be a sad day, because I love the game so much. Like I said, I enjoy getting up in the morning, going to the rink, working on something that makes myself better as a player and helping a team mate or helping my team out.

Q: You’ve had a lot of success with the Idaho Steelheads, are you going to miss those guys; are you going to miss that team?

A: I’m going to miss everything about that team. I enjoyed it. You know, it was a tough decision for me. The fans were great to me. It was tough the first time I left, and its definitely going to be tough this time. I have a lot of friends out there, not just on the rink but also in the community. It wasn’t an easy decision, but I think it’s the right one at this point in my life.

Q: Did you have a good relationship with Head Coach Derek Laxdal?

A: Yeah, I really liked playing for Derek. He’s a player’s coach. He’s a great guy; I enjoyed my two years with him. I think he made me a better player and a better person. I just can’t say enough about that organization and the two coaches that I had when I was there.

Q: They call you “The Rooster”. Can you tell me a little about how you got that nickname?

A: I have no idea how I got that nickname, I don’t know (laughing). I thought it was my hair at one point. Our first radio guy when I was there my first year made it up; I’d have to get him to tell you the story. I don’t know; it was something about a rooster on a farm or something; he would have to tell you.

Q: Are you fond of that nickname?

A: Well, the fans knew me by it, you know if I ever scored or got an assist, they would call me “The Rooster”, so it was good for the fans, and there were probably 10 to 15 people I knew in Boise that would call me that.

Q: You’ve played in some larger rinks than you’ll be playing in at the NYTEX Sports Centre. I know you’ve seen the rink in person; how do you feel about playing in a smaller facility?

A: I’ve never really played in a smaller facility. I guess it’s another challenge. I thought the rink was great, I’ve seen some pictures of the fans, it seems they’re on top of you It seems like there’s a good vibe there in Texas with the fans. When Dan and I were going out for dinner there, you know, meeting up with the guys, you know, fans, they got a good buzz going around town, so I’m excited. I tell Dan every time we talk that I just wish I could pack up my car and let’s get it started. I’m pretty pumped with the decision that I made. You know, every year when I played and signed a contract, coaches would always ask my goal and I only had one goal and that was to win a championship; that doesn’t get old.

Q: Speaking of fans, one of the things about the Central Hockey League is that the fans are very close with the players. It’s not uncommon for the fans to take players out to dinner. I see fans delivering food to support the guys. The fan support is really good. Was it the same for you in the ECHL or some of the other leagues?

A: We were pretty tight with our fans, in Boise Idaho. I’m pretty close to the fans. You know, fans are a big part of the game. I’ll never turn a fan away if they want to go for a beer; if they want to go out for some chicken wings or something or if they just want to get to know me. I think I have more friends outside of the game of hockey in all of the cities I played just because I’m a pretty happy-go-lucky guy. I never turn anybody away. I’m pretty excited. The fan base In Texas is getting bigger and they’re all about the players. I think at the same time, the players have to be all about the fans.

Q: I want to go back a little into your past starting your career with the Ottawa 67’s, even back before that. What was your introduction to hockey?

A: My mother and father here in Canada, they put me through hockey. I never thought I’d take it this far. I can remember playing competitive Triple A here in town and one of my coaches told me, or told my father, that I was on the draft list for the OHL draft and then I got drafted and it just took off. It was pretty exciting time, especially when I played junior, we won a couple of championships there too. That’s where they started stressing that it’s all about winning and I think I just took to everything and ingested it into my blood and that’s the big thing with me, all I want to do is just win. You know, if every guy has that attitude, we’ll get the results we’re looking for.

Q: You were with the Ottawa 67’s for five seasons and then moved on to several different AHL and ECHL teams and then you were with the Komets in the UHL for a season. Was there a league that you preferred as a player?

A: Well, I liked the ECHL. You meet a lot of guys that you know, one minute they’re in your locker room, and then they’re in an AHL locker room and then an NHL locker room, so its pretty cool to see them develop. It’s pretty exciting – one minute you’re having dinner with a guy and he gets a call to go up and the next thing you know he’s at the NHL level.

Q: On a sad note, one of your teammates from the Komets, Rob Guinn passed away about a week ago. Did you know Rob very well?

A: Yeah, Rob and I were assistant captains in Fort Wayne. I saw that and I’m deeply saddened. He was a great guy away from the ice, a great stand-up guy. I know he just got married, I think maybe three years ago and just had a baby and that stuff just hits home when that happens and you can’t put it in words. It was a sad day when I heard that and he’ll be deeply missed.

Q: When you’re not on the ice, what are your favorite things to do?

A: Well, usually I’m on the ice. What happens here is when I come home from work, I run hockey schools pretty much all year round for the young kids in the Toronto area. I’m pretty busy and I try to keep myself active, and it usually all has to do with sports. In the summer especially, I try to see all my friends, enjoy their friendships and enjoy their time.

Q: Coming into Texas, into North Richland Hills, the fans know of you but they don’t know you, is there anything in particular you would like to say to the Texas Brahmas fans?

A: I want to be the hardest worker on the team. I’d like to be the guy who, if my team wins, is looked upon as having played a good game. And if my team loses, I expect to take the blame, because obviously I should be pulling my weight. I also want be one of the guys known in the community. Whether its visiting a school, if there’s a charity event, anybody that needs help, I think I’d be the guy to approach, and if there’s anything I can do to help the next person, I think I’m that guy.


Photo Credit: Idaho Steelheads

No comments: