Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Grant Jacobsen shines with the Manchester Phoenix

Former Texas Brahma speaks to the Insider as his season with England's Elite League begins

After contributing to the Texas Brahmas' success on the ice last season, center Grant Jacobsen took advantage of an opportunity to travel to England to play in the Elite Ice Hockey League, signing with the Manchester Phoenix.

Among his new teammates are former rivals from the 2007-08 season, including Josh Garbutt (Rio Grange Valley Killer Bees), Alex Dunn and Nathan Ward (Odessa Jackalopes), David Beauregard (Tulsa Oilers) and Kyle Bruce (Wichita Thunder).

The Phoenix posted two wins to open their season last weekend with a 4-3 win over the Hull Stingrays and a 5-4 penalty shootout victory against the Newcastle Vipers, including a goal by Jacobsen.

I contacted Grant in England recently and here's our chat.

Q: How did you feel about your performance with the Brahmas and the level of play in the CHL vs. the ECHL?

A: I think I had an OK year; you're always gonna have ups and downs over the course of a season but I think last year went well. I was very surprised by how good the CHL was and how competitive the league was.

Q: Were you surprised the Brahmas did so well last season?

A: I wasn't surprised at all on how good the team was last year. We had a good group of guys, good coaching and things came together at the right time.

Q: Would you have considered another season in the CHL or did you want to do something else?

A: I was planning on going back to Texas for this season and would definitely want to go back there another year.

Q: How did you come to sign with Manchester?

A: I came over here on a word of mouth thing. I didn't really know anyone, it just kinda happened.

Q: How do you like the U.K. so far?

A: It's been good so far. The people, city and team have been great. I just wanted to get out and see more of the world.

Q: Any kind of shout out to the Brahmas and their fans?

A: Ya, I really had a great time last year and would go back in a heart beat. It was the funniest year of hockey I've had so far and really enjoyed myself, thanks again to everyone there.

Photo Credit: Robert Keith

No comments: