Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Insider Interview - Greg McConnell

After a productive rookie season with the Texas Brahmas, McConnell talks about his first year and looking forward to the 2008-09 campaign

Greg McConnell, a 24-year-old native of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, joined the Brahmas after four years at Bowdoin College, playing in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC). In his senior year, McConnell and the Polar Bears reached the NESCAC Championship for the third straight year. He notched 79 points (36 G, 43 A) in 98 games played in his college career.

McConnell led the Brahmas in shooting percentage and tallied 20 points (11 G, 9 A) in 51 games played. McConnell became a clutch player as three of his 11 goals were game winners. In the playoffs, the 6-foot-1, 219 pound forward played in 12 games and scored three points (2 G, 1 A), including the game winning goal in the second game in the series against the Mississippi RiverKings.

I spoke to Greg about his rookie season, his thoughts on his teammates and his excitement about looking forward to the upcoming season.

Q: How did you come to play at Bowdoin University?

A: I played two years at prep school in Connecticut prior to Bowdoin and my first year down in Connecticut, I talked to the coach and we kind of hit it off. It was one of the best decisions of my life. I had a great coach and a lot of great teammates. I learned a lot while I was there over the four years.

Q: One of the things that I noticed about your stats there was your consistency. Not only in points scored but even your penalty minutes; about 20 points per season and 28 PIM per season. What do you think contributed to that?

A: I don’t know. I just tried to go out there and play well; points, I never really focused on. I just went out there and tried to do my job. I don’t really have an answer for that.

Q: After graduating, how were you contacted by the Brahmas?

A: Well Forbie is from Prince Edward Island as well. As soon as I arrived home from school, Forbie contacted me the day I got home and we talked. It just sounded like the ideal situation and it ended up working out great. I got lucky. Forbie approached me and everything just worked out for the best.

Q: How was it coming down to North Richland Hills for camp and getting together with a bunch of guys you didn’t know?

A: I was a little nervous going down there for my rookie season. But I was also lucky that Mark Carragher was there with me. I played with Mark for years in minor hockey, so I was lucky to have a friend to go there with. Just from the talks I had with Forbie and Fonger, it just seemed like they were confident in the team they had coming in and they were going to do everything possible to get a ring. I was more excited than anything to get it going.

Q: Did you have much knowledge of the CHL prior to joining the team?

A: No. Just what I learned from Forbie and Fonger, but I didn’t know much about the league.

Q: How would you describe meeting Coach Wildfong for the first time?

A: He is very intimidating when you first meet him but soon you realize that his intentions are all good. He’s just a passionate person. You learn right away that he’s all business and as long as you come to the rink and work every day then you’re going to be fine with him. I definitely learned a lot from him last year.

Q: How did the camaraderie develop with the other players, especially initially?

A: The older guys were great. They took us right under their wing and by Christmas we were all a pretty tight group. It helped us; we ran into a little slump there but because we were tight we were able to come together and get ourselves out of that little hole we put ourselves in. We had a great team that way and I’m looking forward to hopefully a lot of the guys coming back this year and seeing the guys again.

Q: The team did start off pretty strong and had some successes initially but as you said, there was that slump from mid December to early January. Once you all got past that, what was your level of excitement as things started to snowball and it became clear that you would be heading for the playoffs?

A: Going through that slump around Christmas was tough, but the veterans and other leaders we had on the team really helped us. The fact that we had an older team helped us big time to push through that. The old guys were saying don’t just focus on the little things – we weren’t really looking at the big picture. We just took it step by step and there were a few changes made there; we brought in Jaeger; that was big. But at the same time the other guys that we had there, you can’t really blame them. I think bringing in a couple of new faces added a little spark and at the same time, the veterans helped push us through it and put everything in perspective and we started clicking as a unit.

Q: Was there anybody in particular who mentored you or provided a lot of guidance for you?

A: Chris Thompson and Mike Vellinga were fantastic. A lot of the older guys like Craig Minard and Manning, they all led in different ways but definitely Chris Thompson’s who I kind of wanted to mold myself after. He plays a similar type game. He was definitely a positive role model.

Q: It was a pretty amazing ride in the second half of the season, especially going into the playoffs and sweeping Bossier. What was your feeling going into the series with Colorado; did you really think you had an opportunity to take these guys?

A: Oh, for sure. We were a confident team. It was definitely a great run and a lot of people didn’t expect us to go as far as we did. We had a confident locker room. We felt confident that we could win it all. Right from day one, Forbie and Fonger were confident and their confidence kind of spilled over onto the guys. We thought, and rightfully so, that we could beat Colorado. Things didn’t work out the way we’d like but we definitely learned a lot for the people who are coming back this season. We were disappointed to lose but looking back it was a good run for us, especially for the team being their first year back. But no, I wasn’t surprised at all. We were confident going into that series but things just didn’t work out for us.

Q: As a rookie it must have been a pretty fantastic ride. You experienced just about every high and low possible that you can expect, playing professional. Ho do you feel about your personal performance and is there anything that you’d like to improve upon for the upcoming season?

A: I was happy. More happy that the team was doing so well; especially down the stretch. This year, I’m hoping to build upon it and have a breakout season and just focus more on my role, going out there and trying to be physical, any points that I contribute I look at as a bonus. I want to focus more on defensive play and try to be smart out there and hopefully build on my numbers this year but it’s not something that I dwell on.

Q: Mark Carragher re-signed along with you, so it’ll be nice to have a friend alongside you this season. Forbie is going to be heading back to PEI and won’t be with the team this year. Do you have any thoughts on not having him around?

A: He’s definitely going to be a huge loss. In the room and on the ice and in practice, he’s got a knack for motivating players. He’s definitely going to be a big loss but at the same time, I’m confident that the new assistant will be just as qualified. Obviously, I wish Forbie the best of luck in whatever he does.

Q: Was there a particular memory that stands out for you from last season?

A: Just when we came around and started winning games again after Christmas. Some of the guys stepped up and kind of took charge and got the engine rolling and got the train rolling forward again. That was one of my biggest memories, you know, guys stepping up. That’s when we really started building our confidence.

Q: The makeup of the team will be fairly similar this season. A couple of standouts like Anders Strome and Jordan Cameron have gone off to play in Europe. Grant Jacobsen and a couple of others. You’ve got Lance Galbraith, a pretty well known player from the ECHL coming in and a couple of younger guys, Pete Rouleau and Andrew Leach coming in to play forward. What’s your excitement level like for getting back on the ice and building upon what was started last season?

A: I can’t wait to get back. I’m starting to get the itch here now. We lost some big scorers there in Stromer and Cameron and they’re definitely going to be missed. But in my talks with the coach, I’m pretty confident that we’re going to have another good, solid team. They’ve gone out and tried to fill those holes, so yeah, I’m looking forward to getting there and meeting some of the new guys and to start to work with them. I’m just looking forward to getting back into the groove.

Q: What did you think of the fan base and the fan club and the kind of support that you got from the community when you first came in and throughout the season?

A: To be honest, I didn’t know what to expect going so far south but they were great. I know we have one of the smaller venues but our fans are there game in and game out. They’re dedicated and they make a lot of noise. The booster club was great; I thought they were the best in the league. That was a big help for me too being a rookie. Anything I needed, Mary and anyone there at the booster club, they were there to provide it. I’m looking forward to getting back and playing in front of them again.

Q: You mentioned the smaller venue at NYTEX. Do you like the kind of intimacy and noise level that you get with the fans there?

A: Oh, I love it. You learn to love it when you first get there. You look, and it is a smaller venue, but when that place is full there’s not many places better in the league to play at. There’s a lot of big buildings around in our league but they’re pretty dead and ours – the fans are right there on top of you, you can hear the fans, it’s great. It’s pretty intimidating, I think, for visiting teams to come in and have the fans right on top of you, so yeah, I love it.

Q: In closing, is there anything you want to say to the Brahmas fans?

A: Thanks for all their support. I’m looking forward to getting back and playing for them again and working hard towards a championship. They’re a big part of it so I hope they come out and support us and I look forward to seeing them.

Photo Credit: Robert Keith

No comments: