Tuesday, April 28, 2009

2009 President's Cup finals predictions

...from Rajan's blog

The Corpus Christi Caller-Times' Greg Rajan, uber-blogger extraordinaire (and the man who taught me that it is polite to give an attribute to a "borrowed quote") has posted a thread on this blog, In the Crease with predictions on the outcome of the upcoming President's Cup Championship.

Looks like the majority of his celebrity respondents think the Colorado Eagles will win it all but here's who thinks the Brahmas will win it and why:

They have three solid lines that can match up with Colorado's three lines, they have solid D from one through six, and a goaltender who can steal games for them. They have to find a way to get to Penner early in games and get him off his game. It is going to be a great series no matter what, though.

- Jason Baird, ex-Corpus Christi forward: Texas in 6

This series should be one of the better series of this year's playoffs, as both squads are very capable of winning it all. Last season these two teams gave us a very exciting conference finals, with the Eagles eventually winning in seven games. Ultimately, I think it's the Brahmas' year.

The Brahmas have three players who spent time in the AHL this season, with Scott Sheppard, Jason Deitsch, and Justin Kinnunen. Deitsch could have easily scored 30 goals in the CHL this season had he played more games here.

The Bucks saw Brett Jaeger seven out of eight games in the season series with the Brahmas this season. He was outstanding. I believe that he will carry Texas past Colorado, along with the defensive core that the Brahmas have.

For the second straight season the Eagles will see an opposing team raise the Cup in their building.

- Bryan Benway, Laredo Bucks broadcaster: Texas in 6

Both teams are solid from top to bottom with very good goaltending, but I think if Texas can steal one of the first two games in Colorado they will be in the driver's seat for this series. I didn't see Colorado play this year, but if they don't win both at home to begin with they will have a difficult task ahead of them going into the NYTEX.

- Jay Hardwick, Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees defenseman: Texas in 6

Colorado obviously has the best goaltender in the CHL, but Texas seems to be pretty well-rounded and does not take a lot of penalties. I think they will sit back and let Colorado take the roughings and slashings and try to cash in on the power play. On the flip side, I do not think this Colorado team has the killer instinct or is nearly as physical as previous teams.

- Joel T. Lomurno, Wichita Thunder general manager: Texas in 6

I haven't seen Colorado play this year and I just think Texas will win every game in their barn -- The Shoebox -- and I think they're more than capable of stealing one, if not two, in that rink in Colorado. It's hard to believe there's a team deeper than Texas. If there is, then I'll be wrong and Colorado will win. Texas is the deepest team I've played in a long time in terms of having three good lines, six solid D and two good goalies. And there's the advantage behind the bench with ex-Corpus Christi goalie/enforcer Ronnie Vogel.

- Adam Powell, Corpus Christi IceRays forward: Texas in 7

All season, Texas passed the "eye test" with me. Whenever the Brahmas came to Oklahoma City, I came away more impressed with them than when they entered. Goaltender Brett Jaeger has been outstanding in the playoffs. I would venture to say he hasn't had a letdown yet. He gave up five goals in a 7-5 win, but that was after it was 6-2. When it's mattered most, he's been on.

And there's something to be said about Tyler Skworchinski. Sometimes, a player just has a magical run. From Jason Deitsch to Scott Sheppard (my MVP) to Justin Kinnunen, too many weapons for Colorado to contain.

The Eagles have had a great season, and I expect at least a couple of these games to see overtime and maybe even a second or third extra session sprinkled in there.

- Robert "The Boneman" Przybylo, The Oklahoman: Texas in 6

I was surprised to see them go seven with Odessa, but that's playoff hockey. Both teams are so good at home and should make for an interesting battle on both surfaces. I just think Texas is too good at home and they seem to be so much more determined to prove something this year. Both teams are deep and have strong goaltending, but I think Texas has that X-factor going for them with someone on that team always stepping up offensively and I think the finals will come down to special teams. I have to root for my ex-teammate Vogs too!

- Justin Quenneville, Corpus Christi IceRays captain: Texas in 6

They're big, have good speed and clog the neutral zone well. I know I have not played them this year, but I am familiar with Colorado. I think their skilled players will have a tougher time against Texas. If Texas lets it get to Game 7, then I think Colorado takes it.

- Chris Richards, Corpus Christi IceRays forward: Texas in 6

I think a lot of the players in Texas have never experienced a championship and that will motivate them to play the best that they can to win. I really feel they are evenly matched in talent and size, My feeling is whoever wins in the opponent's rink will have a good chance of winning the championship. It is very hard to play in both teams' buildings and especially difficult to play and win in a small building like the one in Fort Worth.

- Terry Ruskowski, Laredo Bucks head coach: Texas in 7

Wildfong will not allow himself to be beaten by Colorado two years in a row.

- Steve Schuster, Wichita Thunder broadcaster: Texas in 7

I think Texas will win because I think they are stronger throughout their lineup. It's tough to say since I haven't seen Colorado, but I know Texas will be ready for whatever they throw at them!

Kris Tebbs, Corpus Christi IceRays goalie: Texas in 6

No comments: