Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Insider Interview - Playoff Edition

Matt Burto

The rookie forward talks about his influences, playing college hockey and joining the Texas Brahmas

Matt Burto has completed his first regular season in professional hockey. At 24, the Orange, Connecticut native played in 53 games, tallying 11 points (6 G, 5 A) and 49 penalty minutes. He had a short-handed goal, a short-handed assist and score three game-winning goals, including the one that beat the Colorado Eagles on February 6th.

An alumni of the Hartford Junior Wolf Pack Midget U-16 Hockey Club, Burto attended the Avon Old Farms school in Avon, Connecticut where he was an All-New England selection and Team Most Valuable Player. He also played for the Boston Junior Bruins (EJHL) where he was an Eastern Junior Hockey League All-Star. He led the Bruins with 85 points (42 G, 43 A) in 62 games.

In 2002-03, he played for the Des Moines Buccaneers (NAHL) where he notched 29 points (10 G, 19 A) and 75 penalty minutes in the regular season and an assist and four penalty minutes in four games played in the playoffs. The Buccaneers advanced to the first round of the Clark Cup playoffs where they were eliminated by the regular season champions, the Tri-City Storm.

He played for four seasons at UMass-Amherst (NCAA) where he tallied 35 points (17 G, 18 A) and 35 penalty minutes in 113 games played. During his senior year, he scored the game-winning goal against #4 Colorado College in overtime to capture the (Tampa Bay) Lightning College Hockey Classic and was named MVP of the tournament.

I spoke with Matt recently about his influences, playing college hockey and joining the Texas Brahmas. Here is our conversation.

Q: Growing up in Connecticut, who was it that influenced you to play hockey; where did that decision come about when you were a youngster?

A: When I was younger, I used to always go to the New Haven Nighthawks games, in the AHL. My grandfather had season tickets, so he'd always bring me, when I was about three. He made me learn how to skate before I could play hockey, because that's pretty much the name of the game, you have to be able to skate before you can do anything else. So my grandfather, he pretty much got me into it. And then my grandmother, if he couldn't bring me, she would always bring me everywhere that I needed to go, even when my mom couldn't be around or was not. So, my grandparents had the biggest influence on hockey.

Q: So when you went on to the NAHL to play for the Des Moines Buccaneers, were you just advancing with what you were having some fun doing, or did you already have it in your mind that you'd like to pursue hockey seriously?

A: Certainly when you're little, you always think you'd like to try and make it to the NHL, so I mean, I've always loved the game, so I've always wanted to continue with it. When I was with the Jr. Bruins, and even before that, I was drafted in the Quebec Major Juniors when I was 16, so I had a big decision to make at that point. Should I go Major Junior or should I go to college? Everyone pretty much wanted me to go and get an education because you pretty much need that now. It's worked out pretty well, I mean, I have my degree now and I'm still playing hockey, so I have something to fall back on. I suppose if I would have gone to play Major Junior and I didn't get a degree, It would be kind of tough with no schooling after hockey. I think I made a smart decision.

Q: Who was your biggest influence overall?

A: My grandparents, again, they really stressed working hard - a good work ethic is going to get you places. My grandfather was always a stickler with a lot of little things, but I kind of picked up on that. My grandmother was always a character person. You know, think before you do something because it will reflect badly on you if you make the wrong decision.

Q: And as far as professional hockey players, who were your heroes?

A: Growing up, I used to like Pavel Bure and Peter Forsberg and also Mario Lemieux, they were the three people I'd always watch. Pavel Bure was definitely my favorite player.

Q: When you decided to go to UMass-Amherst, was the decision partly based on the hockey program or was it purely academic?

A: It's kind of funny, my decision for UMass was due to one of my best friends. I committed there and he was already there when I was looking at it. I liked that the program was up and coming and I liked the coaching staff. Actually, in my freshman year, the people that recruited me had taken better jobs at other places so I had new coaches coming in, but overall, my best friend was going there and I wanted to be there with him. He happened to leave after his sophomore year. It was a good choice though and I don't regret it. If my best friend would have remained there, it would have been even better. I made a lot of friends there. We were the first team to go to the NCAA Tournament for UMass (2006-07), and also I got to play in the Hockey East Finals at the TD Banknorth Garden (in Boston) which was pretty nice.

Q: ...And you had a the game-winning goal in overtime at the Lightning College Hockey Classic in Tampa Bay?

A: Yeah.

Q: How did hockey mix with your academic requirements?

A: Hockey is pretty much very...not overwhelming but hockey didn't come first, but it did. You know, because you always had to be ready to play and you're always on the road but I always found a way to get my academics done. I would bring my stuff on the road and I always just found a way to make it work. Even though the college hockey season is the longest college season of any sport; it just goes on and on, but you just have to find a way.

Q: In the Summer of 2007, you had the opportunity to represent the U.S. at the first World Jewish Ice Hockey Championship In Northern Israel. The United States won gold, 2-1, over the host nation and also defeated Israel in round-robin play. Did you feel secure there?

A: The village we were in, Metulla, was on the border of Lebanon. It was a very small place and there was just the one rink. There was two hotels but it had a homey feel to it. I didn't feel threatened at all. Even when we went into the old city; that was an eye-opening experience though, because of all of the different cultures right inside the one city. It was a good experience. Right after I left, that's when the big stuff happened on the Gaza Strip. I'm kind of glad I got to go there when I did and not have everything happen while I was there. I actually got asked to go - they're having another tournament this year - but I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it. It's for two weeks.

Q: After finishing up at UMass, how were you recruited by the Texas Brahmas?

A: I had an agent and he talked to Dan. I had to do research about the team and the area but the big thing was that Dan called me and he was very active in that. So I felt more like I was wanted rather than some other places who were offering, like, here it is, take it or leave it.

Q: When you first met Dan, did you have the feeling that a lot of people get, that this guy is really intense?

A: He's a competitor. He always wants the best out of you. If he gets the best out of you, you're likely to win more games. He just always wants you to play hard. If you work and play hard, you're going to get the bounces later on.

Q: Both Dan and even Mike Barack have commented to me about how hard you work. You have a very physical presence out on the ice; you're all about and play a good number of shifts. How do you feel about how your first season as a pro has gone for you?

A: Pretty good. I've pretty much been trying to keep my game simple and not do too much. You know, do all the little things better than everyone else...if you keep the game simple, it's going to be better for you instead of trying to make pretty plays, like passes through three guys. If you keep it simple, you're going to play better but also...like in the beginning of the year, I wasn't playing as much, but when I got my chance, I was proving that I can play, so I'm pretty happy with the year.

Q: How do you feel about your reception by the fans and the home ice experience at NYTEX in general?

A: NYTEX is definitely a different experience. Especially coming from a college where our arena holds 8,000 and we would get 5-7,000 every night. But I like the smaller rink and I like the atmosphere a lot. The fans are great. It's always loud. I'd much rather have a smaller rink that's sold out all the time than a huge arena where only a couple of thousand show up. You feel more at home. You definitely have a good home-ice advantage here just because of the fans' presence and their support.

Q: How did you feel as an individual and how do you think the guys felt coming into the playoffs...I know everyone was excited but do you feel confident in the team that you have and what your capabilities are?

A: Oh yeah, we have a great group of guys and we've had a great season. If we just stick to the way that we've been playing, I think we'll be pretty successful.

Q: Coming on board with a very successful team, are you pretty excited about the possibility of winning a cup in your first year?

A: Oh yeah, the whole reason to play in the playoffs is just to win it. I mean, I don't want the season to end early. I definitely just want to get to the finals.

Photo Credit: Top - Robert Keith, Middle - University of Massachusetts

No comments: