Monday, March 2, 2009

Insider Behind the Scenes with...Cliff Shaw

Team Chaplain

Cliff Shaw is a familiar face around the NYTEX Sports Centre. Known affectionately as "Rev", Shaw is a member of Hockey Ministries International, a non-denominational Christian organization organized in 1977. Shaw, 60, serves as Team Chaplain for the Texas Brahmas, serving the spiritual needs of the players, coaches, and other members of the organization.

"I pray that they will use the abilities God has given them to help the team," Shaw recently told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "I also try to be very basic. God loves ’em, Jesus died for them, and the way to heaven is through Christ."

Providing pre-game prayer, chapel sessions, baptisms and spiritual direction are just a few of the services Shaw offers to the team. He also remains available 24/7 for anyone who needs to talk.

I spoke to Cliff recently after sitting in on a chapel session after practice. Here is our conversation.

Q: Tell me a little about your background; how did you get involved with the clergy?

A: Well, in 1989 I had a good job. I was making six figures, had a company car and an expense account. I was very involved with my church. I was a volunteer with Athletes in Action. I lost my job. I prayed about it and decided this is what I need to do – God sent me in this direction, so that’s how I actually got started. It’s not a job. It’s a calling. A lot of people say, what do you mean it’s a calling? Well, if you’ve been called, you know what it means. God equips the people he calls. He doesn’t call the equipped, necessarily. That’s how I got involved.

Q: Why hockey?

A: I’ve been around hockey since I was born. My grandfather was involved with the Maple Leafs and the Red Wings organizations. I learned to skate at Maple Leaf Gardens. I’ve been around the game all of my life. I love the game. But hockey’s a culture, it’s not a game. It’s a culture.

Q: You are with Hockey Ministries International. Tell me a little about the organization and how you came to be a part of it.

A: They’ve been around since 1977. The main thing that they do is Christian hockey camps. Last year, we reached over 2,000 kids through a camp. We offer chapel in almost every hockey league that is around, from the juniors all the way up to the NHL. When I started in 1991, I was a maverick in the Central Hockey League. I was the only guy around. I traveled with the team for awhile and then when I would get to other cities, I would tear out yellow page ads for churches and I would call pastors to try and find people to work with the other teams. My goal was to get chaplains in with every team.

Q: What has been the reception of the teams to the idea?

A: It’s new, even though it’s been around since 1977. Chapel programs in hockey are relatively new. It’s something that the guys, when you do a chapel presentation for a team, sometimes you get a lot of blank stares. Like, what are you talking about? Whereas with football and basketball and baseball, it’s a given. They’ll have their chapel programs on game days or the day before. But in hockey, it’s relatively new. Most of the time, guys are receptive to it because it’s new. Sometimes, they’ll check it out. And some guys are actual believers. I always tell people, you can’t have a ministry until you have a relationship. They don’t really care how much you know until they know how much you care.

When I first started, I just started going to practice and kept going and going and going. Finally one day, one guy says “what do you do?” and that gave me an opportunity to tell him. I think most guys are open to the idea; however the majority of guys don’t come. That doesn’t mean they’re not interested. Sometimes I actually think they’re afraid. Because it’s new; it’s something different they’ve never had. And when I say afraid, I don’t mean fearful, it’s just because it’s new. I’ve been very fortunate here with Dan and Forbes when they came here. They were every involved with chapel programs in Shreveport. So they were very open and very receptive to it.

Q: Do you get the opportunity from time to time to witness with players and spend some time with guys who just need someone to talk to?

A: Yes, I do and the thing is, guys have to trust you before they’ll open up to you. This year, I’ve had
several opportunities to sit and just listen to guys and visit with guys and share the good news of Christ with them. That’s what I’m all about.

Q: You have players who come from different backgrounds and different denominations, some with religious upbringings and some with none at all. Do you find that to be any sort of a challenge?

A: Well, there are several different religions. I’m a Christian and that’s the gospel that I proclaim, of Jesus Christ. Denominations, guys come from different denominations, Catholicism, Episcopalian, Lutheran, Presbyterian…tell them, look, I was raised a Presbyterian, went to a Catholic School, married a Southern Baptist and work for a non-denominational ministry. So, unless you’re one of the others, I’ve got you covered (laughing). It’s the same Jesus Christ, if you’re a Christian, no matter what the denomination.

Q: I think the one thing that ties them all together is faith. It doesn’t matter what you call yourself. The bottom line in every denomination, it all comes down to faith.

A: Exactly, and the ministry that I’m involved in is a faith support ministry. That is, that I raise my own funds through individuals and churches. If people don’t give, I don’t get paid. But I don’t look at it that way because I know that this is where God wants me. I’m very sure of that or I wouldn’t be doing it. I don’t look at this as a job. A job is something you dread going to every day, just to get a paycheck. I enjoy what I’m doing. I have a passion for it. I have a passion to see every one of these guys know Jesus Christ. Will that happen? That’s not up to me. My job is to share the good news and then let the Holy Spirit do his work.

For more information on Hockey Ministries International, click here

To read the recent article about Cliff Shaw in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, click here

Photo Credits: Robert Keith

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Robert, thanks for the Rev.'s interview. Us fans who've been around for a while, knew most of this exposure. On the Rev.'s behalf, it is not said enough that he is the steadiest, best, hockey fan I've known...for such a long time. With out a doubt, I've known if I ever needed him, he would devote that time to me. Your interview is a good reason for all of us who appreciate the Rev. to take the time out to say thanks to him for being here for our sport, team, and us.

Bless the Rev. and his family. They are as good as it gets.