Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Insider Interview - Playoff Edition

Justin Kinnunen

The Brahmas All-Star defenseman talks about being selected to the All-Star game, playing in the AHL and the upcoming playoffs

Justin Kinnunen is excited and ready for the playoffs. The 6'1", 168-pound defenseman from Negaunee, Michigan has had a season full of highs and like his fellow Brahmas, is wanting to get his hands on the President's Cup.

Kinnunen played in 47 regular season games with the Brahmas this season, notching 33 points (12 G, 21 A) and 59 penalty minutes. He ended the season with a +19 rating. He tallied four powerplay goals, 14 powerplay assists, two short-handed goals and three game-winning goals. On January 3rd, he scored a hat trick on the road against the Laredo Bucks.

Kinnunen was honored with his second consecutive trip to the CHL All-Star game this past January. He was also called up to the AHL twice, playing 11 games with the San Antonio Rampage.

Now a fifth-year professional, the former Northern Michigan University Wildcat played for the Dayton Bombers (ECHL), Briancon Alpes Provence (France), the Flint Generals and the Muskegon Fury (UHL) before joining the Brahmas last season.

I spoke with Justin the other day while he was in Hidalgo, preparing for the final game of the season against the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees. Here is our conversation.

Q: You are considered one of the league's best defensemen. Were you surprised to be nominated to represent the Brahmas in your second All-Star game this season?

A: Yeah, I was. You know, I just started playing defense. I actually grew up playing mostly as a forward. I came down to Texas last season and Dan started me out as a full-time defenseman. He really showed a lot of confidence in me and I was able to gain a lot of confidence. I'm playing more as an offensive defenseman and I guess I'm getting some notice around the league and as a result, I was able to go to two All-Star games.

Q: I've heard you described more than once as "an eagle on ice" referring to your speed and grace; have you always been a fast skater?

A: I wouldn't say I've always been faster than everybody; it just seems that I've always had a good skating form; that's what everyone has always told me, that I'm a good skater. It seems like in the last couple of years, I've even gotten better, where I'm able to pull away from guys. That's changed in the past couple of years. I don't really know how to describe it, you know, I just try and play my game.

Q: Being called up to the AHL a couple of times this season is a great honor. But I wanted to know, as a player switching between leagues, does it break your flow playing in one league, then going to another and coming back? Is it an easy adjustment going from the CHL to the AHL and back?

A: Going up to the American League, it is an adjustment; the game's a little it faster, the guys are stronger. Things happen a little bit quicker out on the ice. That's the adjustment when you're going up and then coming back, it slows down a little bit. It's nothing that disrupts your flow, I would say. But it's a great experience. I've got to thank Dan for it, because he was really pushing for me and I pretty much owe it all to him.

Q: What did you learn from last season's playoff series against Colorado and the playoffs in general that you will take with you into the post-season this year?

A: Looking back at last year, you know, we were one game away from going to the finals, and once it's over, you can't get that back. It's really do or die time going into the playoffs. Every game's got to be your best game. You've got to really prepare for each game like it's going to be your last. That's how we're going to be thinking going into the playoffs and we're going to make a good run for it.

Q: Was it helpful coming back this season with a lot of the same guys on the team as far as being able to play together and knowing each other and having gone through so much together last season?

A: Yeah, it has been for me. I'm in my fifth year now and in my first four years, I played on different teams with new faces and not really knowing anybody. So this is my first time going back to a team where I know a good handful of guys. You know, I'm a shy person, so it takes me a while to get to know guys. Coming into this year, I knew over half the team and it just made it a lot easier on me and it's a lot easier on everybody when you can look around the room and not have to meet everybody all over again.

Q: What do you think has been the biggest struggle for the D corps this season?

A: Just numbers. We've battled through a lot of injuries. You know, you're supposed to have 16 men suited up for every game but for upwards of half the season we've played with just five (defensemen). We've lost Lundberg recently and Ross Rouleau came in and he's doing a great job. It's just been numbers - we've been playing short every game. I wouldn't have it any other way, though. I like the ice time and I think a lot of guys feel the same way.

Q: One of the problems the Brahmas have had throughout the season has been on the penalty kill. Do you think that's going to be an issue in post-season play or do you think you guys can step that up?

A: Obviously, I think we can step it up. We're tweaking our penalty-killing system a little bit right now...we're trying to be a little more aggressive and giving the other team a little less time with the puck. Laredo didn't have any luck with the powerplay last night (03/19); I can't remember how it went on Wednesday. It's going to be important for us because one of the keys to our success right now, in the playoffs, is effective special teams.

Q: Now looking forward to next weekend, how pumped are you as an individual to be going back into the playoffs with a team like the Brahmas that has potential to make it all the way to the championship?

A: I'm really excited. You can see all year where we've had the team that, I've thought from day one that we had the guys here who could do it this year. I'm not saying that we didn't have it last year, but this year I'm even more excited about it. We haven't really had a low this season. Of course we've had a couple of losses here and there but for the most part, we've been playing great all season and we're looking forward to the playoffs and winning a championship.

Photo Credit: Robert Keith

No comments: